Monday, May 19, 2014

Mama eats

I need quick meals for lunch, and it has been a bit of a struggle with the whole dairy free thing (cheese + crackers or yogurt were go-to lunch grabs for me).  I've been making these peanut noodles lately.  Super easy and they are sooooo good, and even better cold (which is great since that's how I eat 90% of my meals).

Don't they look yummy?

 Here's what you need for the sauce (plus what I forgot in the photo...a little sugar, peanut butter, and olive oil).  That cute little penguin is our pepper shaker...sort of a family joke!  I like to use regular spaghetti noodles, but I've also used rice in a pinch.  And I add broccoli, sweet onion, and carrots to the mix.  A few fresh scallions snipped over the top, and you're done!


 See these beauties?  I was tired of finding wilted brown scallion carcasses buried under giant bags of carrots or green peppers, so I decided to try this idea with the latest bunch of organic scallions.  It worked so well! 

 
 Mmmm, so good!  
And nope, I'm not fancy with cookware...just a good old Revere copper bottom pot works great!

I'll do my best with a recipe although I'm not really a measure-out-everything kind of cook...more of a dump-dash-sprinkle-scoop cook.  A lot of this is to taste...

Peanut Noodles
about 2 lunch servings for me + a lunch for Grace

6oz spaghetti noodles (a grab about the size of a half dollar)

3c broccoli (fresh or frozen)
1 large carrot
1/4 of a medium sized sweet onion
 
For the sauce:
1/3c all natural peanut butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 Tbsp sugar (I like brown sugar, but often forget to add)
1/2-1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce)
1/2-1 Tbsp hot sauce
1/4 tsp black pepper
Dash of garlic powder, ginger (2-3 dashes), nutmeg
Salt, optional (I usually at add a little)

Scallions

Cook your noodles...I like 'em al dente.  While those are cooking, peel and dice your carrot & onion.  Chop your broccoli if you are using the fresh stuff.  I prefer to saute the veggies but I'm usually hurrying so I just steam them all in the microwave for four minutes.  Whisk together the sauce ingredients.  When the pasta is done, drain almost all of the water out.  Dump the veg & sauce in the pot and mix it up...tongs work well or a fork.  The bit of pasta water will help your sauce spread nicely.  Snip a few scallions over the top and enjoy!  Fast & delicious!

The Kitchen is still counterless, and soon to be floorless, which is challenging.  It will be beautiful when it is done!  All in good time.  For now, I will stick to cooking simple meals that can be prepped on the 1sq ft "counter" that we have!






No comments:

Post a Comment