Thursday, May 1, 2014

Getting a little political...

You may have noticed that some of my recent Facebook statuses have bordered on crazy political ranting.  It stemmed from a recent encounter with Vineyard Smiles, a local dental program for students without dental insurance.  I called, filled out paperwork, and told my daughter that she would get to see the dentist that week {yay!}.  The following day I got a call from the lovely woman at Vineyard Smiles, asking why I had left the insurance section on the form blank.  I explained that we don't have dental insurance.  She said okay, Grace is all set for her appointment, and make sure to send a check for $130.  Um, excuse me?!  Apparently, since we pay for our health insurance, we do not qualify for the free dental program.  How unfair is that?  And I couldn't help but feel {as immature as it may be} that we were being told that no matter how much we do that is good and responsible, we just can't win.  We work hard to support our family {not saying that others don't} and there is little left over for "extras".  We don't eat out, shop, or spend our money on "frivolous" things...and that is perfectly fine by us!  I just can't believe that there is nothing that they can do to make this program work for us.  So, it's been a little rough.  I'm feeling crappy for not being able to do this for Grace, and now knowing that the chances of doing it for two kids next year are about nil.

Disclaimer:  I'm not interested in a debate.  I am grateful that we are able to pay our bills, for insurance, etc.  And I am glad that programs/support exists for those that need it!

And, let's leave it on a cute note...


As promised, the Florida post with "real" photos, house updates, and some other fun posts are coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment